Sunday, March 25, 2007

One Step Forward

After a couple of painful days it was back to the physio on Tuesday. When asked how everything was going, I simply responded with "Shit!". After a quick chat and trying a couple of different things that did not provide any relief, I was referred to to sports doctor and instructed to do absolutely no exercise. I came home feeling quite deflated.

I was lucky enough to get an appointment to see the sports doc on Thursday. So I dragged Blue Dog along, and now have full diagnosis (too much detail) The good news is I know have plan and I'm allowed to exercise under the principle of "relative rest", but still no running. This was music to my ears. I have another visit next week, which includes a few little assessments and adjustments and I will continue with the physio. Hopefully I will be on the road again very soon.

This week my "relative rest" has involved"

Monday: 1hr Aqua Aerobics
Tuesday: Physiotherapy
Wednesday: rest day
Thursday: 1hr Elliptical Trainer, 20 minutes stationery bike
Friday: 45 minutes Elliptical Trainer
Saturday: 1hr Elliptical Trainer followed by a strength and core session.
Sunday: 45 minutes Elliptical Trainer, 20 minutes stationery bike

5 comments:

Tesso said...

Wow, that's a lot of exercise for 'relative rest'! Your fitness won't suffer much at all if you keep that up. With that sort of cross training you may well end up stronger.

Lulu said...

Good to hear that you can are allowed to cross train; it will help keep you sane!

Eagle said...

Bernie<
AK told me what happened before 6ft and I didn't really know what to think except I KNEW you would be very very upset as I know how much you enjoy running and in particular this race.

I had the SF last year and when I gotthe news it was just the worst idea to adjust to - NO RUNNING!!! but you have found other things to do and you are setting goals withthose activities. I did something similar and the time did go by and I did get better and so will you.

Use the time to refresh yourself menatlly and physically and you will be back out running in what will seem like no time.

Clairie said...

Bernie that is good news that you now have a plan and are able to work things out. Even if you aren't running at least you know you soon will be able to gently ease yourself into it.

Keep the chin up and know that all the crosstraining you are doing is good stuff too.

Brendan said...

Do hope you mend soon. I guess shit happens then you get going again. I had 8 weeks off before MdS then tried to rebuild from there. I'm sure you will use this extra time in a positive way. Because you're a positive person. Keep us posted and good luck with the relative exercise.