Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Success All Round

14 April 2007

Blue Dog and I went down to Canberra for the marathon. We had planned on squeezing in a nice easy run in the afternoon, but ran out of time. Blue Dog was feeling great well carbo loaded and ready to run, so we thought it best he hung on to that feeling.

It was nice to catch up with everybody and watch the 5km and 10km runners. We then meet up with Deanne, Katie, Ray and Anthony (Deanne's son) for dinner. We didn't have any bookings or plans so we decided to find something in the City, which was great. The service and food was fabulous.

15 April 2007

I resisted Deanne and Katie's invite for an early morning run prior to the marathon and focused on Blue Dog and his preparations. Blue Dog was in great shape and focused, so I had no doubt he would achieve his 50km goal, sub 4hrs. He had planned on a 3:16 marathon (ran 3:14) and 3:58 for the 50km (ran 3:56).

Enjoyed the post race party and the annual post race dinner with the Qld contingent.

16 April 2007


I was up nice and early for a run around the Lake. I just set off at a nice comfortable pace and eased myself into the run. I ran a total of 10km with an average pace of 5:38/km. This was my longest and fastest run for quite a while. I arrived back at our motel very happy. Although I still have a slight niggle, the rest and recovery has definitely worked.

17 April 2007

After looking at Blue Dog's program last night I decided I would attend my first SWEAT session in five weeks. Sean welcomed me back and asked how I was going, I gave him a quick run down and he suggested I take it very easy and relaxed and no speed. I completed the drills and just jogged through the strides. Everything was feeling good.

I then ran 2 laps of the lake in 14:47 (average speed 5:02/km) and ran 1 lap in 6:45 (average speed 4:44/km). I was really happy given that I have done no speed work for weeks and was taking it easy, it was very rewarding.

Back to the gym again tonight for some more cardio work and a Pump Class.

5 comments:

Rob said...

Hi Bernie,
I really enjoyed catching up with you and Blue Dog in Canberra. What a fantastic week end it was.

It seems as though you are on the road to full recovery and no doubt rearing to go.

Best wishes

Eddie

Ellie80 said...

Hi Bernie - you looked really strong this morning - particularly as you zoomed past me without even breathing hard! good to see you are back into it :)

Lulu said...

Great to see you are back running Bernie.

Thanks for the support in the 10km and big congrats to Blue Dog for another great achievement. Hope to see you both soon.

Tesso said...

Thanks again for all your support on the weekend Bernie. It really makes such a difference.

I'm so pleased you are back on the road again. With all the cross training you've done of late I have an inkling your comeback will see you even stronger and faster.

Aunty said...

That's our girl!

Good on you BG for being patient with the recovery & not rushing back into it.

AK
ps. I may go along for the 10 on Sunday also if you wanted company.