Sunday, March 12, 2006


Six Foot Track

I did it. Finally my day had arrived.

I woke up feeling pretty good and excited. Traveled to the start with Eagle, Truckie, Aunty K and Blue Dog and watched the sun come up.

The atmosphere at the start was great, it was great catching up with everybody. I still felt pretty relaxed, however when the 7.00am group started I did get a shot of nerves, which quickly disappeared.

Blue Dog lined up in Wave 2, I gave him a kiss and we exchanged our best wishes.

I found Bec and we discussed our plan to run to Cox River together. The gun went off and it all began. Heading down Nellys Glenn towards the steps was very congested, but what can you do. Eventually found a rhythm and chatted along with Bec towards Megalong Valley. I had suggested if we could keep talking we were going at the right pace.

Just after the bridge and the course crossing, I had a fall. I later found out Blue Dog fell in the same place. Anyway, I got up very quickly and kept moving, there was a bit of blood coming from both knees, but it wasn't going to effect my race plan. Arrived at Cox's River at 1:54:10, which was good. It was suggested I visit the First Aid Station to get my knees cleaned up, but I said I was okay and kept going. Actually, nearly every aid station would call my number and suggest I get my knees attended to. I just kept going thinking that was wasting time, it was only blood. (Blue Dog was very proud of my decision).

I reached Pluvi in 3:49:49 so I was very happy. I must admit I am not strong on hills, so I pleased with my split. I was also pleased to be passing people. Along the Black Range I ran and walked this section making steady progress. I got to Deviation and eyed off the toilet, and thought by the time I ran off course, use the loo and get back on the course I would waste too much time. As an lady would, I settled for a tree large enough to be modest.

Caves Road 5:30. I knew I had roughly an hour to the finish and could possible finish with my dream run, 6:30. Kept it going and finished 6:27:07. I was so happy running to the finish line. I spotted Bec who had a great run, and then spotted Blue Dog who was grinning from ear to ear.

It was a very proud moment.

Thank you to everybody who encouraged and supported me; Paul "The King" and Bec. A big thank you to my husband Wayne (aka Blue Dog) for all his support and believing in me.

And yes, I will be there next year.

4 comments:

2P said...

Congratulations Bernie - a great result after a great preparation and a scare.

Seeing you finish with blooded knees is one of the memories I have taken away from the day.

Well done mate ;-)

PS - please pass on my congrats to BD too.

Tesso said...

Huuuuuge congrats Bernie. What can I say but WOW! What a great finish time, betcha you're still smiling.

I've read lots of 6ft reports but still got goosebumps after reading the final part of yours.

Enjoy your recovery, you have certainly earned it.

PS Great pic but it makes it look flat!

Jen said...

Hey Bernie,

I just found your blog through a comment you left on Tesso's blog - hope you don't mind...

Congratulations again on a great race and on achieveing your goal. Your hard work over the last 12 months certainly has paid off!

I have to say that your bloody knees were pretty impressive; hope you got a good photo of the 'war wounds'.

Hope you have recovered well,

J

Ewen said...

You left me for dead on the deviation Bernie - you had a great 6'. Well done!