Monday, March 06, 2006

What a week.. Actually a fortnight

27 February 2006

Rest day. The ankle is still a little swollen, but getting there.

28 February 2006

Headed over to the park today for 8km. Opted for the grass surface. After my body had warmed up a little I had no problems. My average pace was 5:20/km.

1 March 2006

No exercise.

2 March 2006

Head over to the track for 3000m. I did a 2.5km warm up, and felt okay. My time was 14:30, which is 16 weeks slower than my last 3000m, but I was happy the ankle held up okay. Finished off with a 2.5km warm down.

When we got home Blue Dog, advised me there was a message on the phone, my father had an accident. We ended up at Concord Hospital to find my father had fallen whilst walking the dog, and required knee reconstruction surgery for both knees.

3 March 2006

No exercise.

4 March 2006

Sydney Striders 10k race. I was unsure of what to do, just tread the 10km as a training run and run at decent (race) pace. To be honest I was not mentally focused due my father's recent accident and some other issues.

I met up with Bec and we did a short warm up. My ankle felt okay. The usual festive start with all the usual crowd. I ran at 4:50min pace, but DNFed after the fist lap (5Km), the ankle and foot felt a little odd, probably due to the pace. I was happy with my effort, and pleased with my decision to maintain my 6 Foot focus. Happy to report there was increased swelling post run.

5 March 2006

Blue Dog and I went for run along the Paramatta River near Newington. The ran was a total of 6km (out and back). We decided to run the first 3km together and then put in an effort on the return. It was quite warm when we started (11.15am), and my breathing was all over the place, eventually I found my rhythm. On the return I ran at average pace of 4.55/km. No issues with the ankle.

Later in the day we visited my father. It's funny as a runner, we all discuss niggles and injured, but seeing my dad in bed with both legs in braces which he may wear for the next 12 months made me realise how life can change in minutes.

6 March 2006

6km on grass with Blue Dog, average pace 5.30/km. I felt really flat which was due to diet, higher protein intake the last couple of days. The good new is the ankle has recovered.

7 and 8 March 2006

Rest days.

9 March 2006

My last pre-race run. Headed over the track. This week it was 5000m. I finished 24:50, with is 4 seconds faster than my previous run, but still one minute off my PB.

I feel great, no niggles, my legs feel fresh and I am very EXCITED.



2 comments:

2P said...

Hey Bernie - have a great race.

CU at the end - or somewhere along the way ;-)

Tesso said...

Ah, the blog update I've been waiting for! I'm so glad you're ankle is okay.

Best of luck and all that. Give my wishes to The Dog. Have a wonderful day out there.

Wow, now it is getting exciting!