Sunday, August 26, 2007

Willy to Billy

After Kerry had managed the logistics of our Willy to Billy adventure, Kerry, Helen, Deanne, Kit, Razor and I all headed to the mountains for the day. On arrival we said our goodbyes to Kit and Helen and boarded our bus to the start. The bus ride was an experience and we were a little afraid Deanne was going to loose the benefit of her carbo load. After the bus driver getting a little lost and showing us his three point turn skills we finally arrived at the start area. We were greeted by the usual suspects and enjoyed the usual pre-event chatter.

Deanne, Kerry, Razor and I all planned to run the event as training run. It was a good opportunity to for me to manage my energy levels for an extended period of time, particularly with my recent diagnoses and the commencement of medication.

The start caught us by surprise due the level of chatter and the very casual start call. Once we hit the trail there a couple of muddy and slippery areas that were a bit of fun as romped through it. We shared another enjoyable run learning about Kerry's Jelly Bean eating habits and I shared my electric blanket secret. As we approached the aid stations Razor was very supportive and caring, ensuring I was looking after myself. We eventually made our way to the bridge before commenced our climb to the finish. During this section of the course we eventually broke away from each other. I can happily say during this section no one passed me, and I managed to pass a number of runners. As I approached the finish chute, Razor was running back towards me offering encouragement. I finished 3:53hrs and felt pretty good.

I enjoyed a nice shower and then Kerry, Deanne, Helen and I enjoyed a nice coffee at the Bilpin Fruit Bowl on the way home.

26 August 2007

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I woke up feeling great no muscle soreness at all, which indicates I ran W2B correctly. I only had a very short recovery run on the program this morning and I was tempted to go a little further, however Blue Dog advised me not to overdo things. I settled with 3.5km with an average pace of 5:46/km

4 comments:

Superflake said...

A good run at Willy 2 Billy Bernie. Looking good for Fitzroy Falls now.

Tesso said...

Gee, you don't pick easy races to do as 'training runs'! Well done. I bumped into Razor this morn and he said you guys took it easy and had fun out there.

Aunty said...

BG - that is a great effort by you! next year I will be back at W2B... i'm already looking forward to it.

Cheers,
K
ps. look forward to seeing you on Friday night.

2P said...

Nice work with W2B Bernie and good to see your training going so well despite what seems to be a few health hiccups.