Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Decision has been Made.

Well I have finally decided to attempt to keep a blog in preparation for 6 Foot. The purpose of the the blog is to provide me with a record of my training leading up to 6 Foot.

1 January 2006

I took the opportunity to have a well deserved rest day after a great week of training which included some strength training which will come in handy on the Big Day. Beyond the Black Stump was scheduled for today, but due to the Total Fire Bans the run had been rescheduled for 2 January 2006.

Given that it was 44 degrees, I was very pleased to just hang around the pool in an attempt to keep cool.

2 January 2006

Beyond the Black Stump

I arrived just in time for the start. I ran the my usual running partner Bec (Pscyhoma). We decided to walk the hills to get our bodies use to the transition between walking and running, which will come in handy for 6 Foot.

We got lost heading down to the ferry. Thankfully, we had both done this part of the run on a Striders STAR so we had a good idea of what direction we should have been taking.

Returning back to the ferry we had a dog follow us for about 2km. Thankfully it did not bite us or attempt to get on the ferry.

The climb back up to the finish was unbelievable, it took us appox 18 minutes for 1km. We joked that we need to run a STAR soon and learn to run again ;-). We got lost again in this section. We probably lost at least 15 minutes in taking the wrong path.

It was the toughest 33km run I have completed, and the longest 5hr 24 mins. It has given me the confidence that I have the endurance to run 5 to 6 hours.

I came home and well deserved nap.

No comments: