Wednesday, January 18, 2006

My debut on the 6 Foot Track

17 January 2006

Arrived at Katoomba and it was very wet and miserable. Blue Dog suggested on the way up the mountains we may not be running due to rain, however I protested, insisting it could rain on race day.

After a quick discussion and a review of the raid radar, we headed off, three of us in total. We started our run approx. 1200 metres for the start. Running down Nelly's Glen I found a "river" and ended up chest deep in the water, that was the start of many river crossings. We had to form "human chains" on a couple of occasions to get across a couple of rivers, the strength of the current was unbelievable.

We finished in under 8 hours, which included waiting to cross the footbridge, a couple of breaks, negotiating rivers, and assisting three backpackers cross the river. I am confident on the day of the race I will make the finish within the cut off time. With some more training, increasing both my strength and endurance, less a couple of kilos (camel back), it now seems in reach.

Thanks guys.

18 January 2006

I don't feel too bad today, the quads are a little tender. My shoulder is giving me the most grief. I got swept over by the current at one of the river crossings. I think I have strained a couple of muscles in my shoulder when I grabbed Blue Dog's hand.

Today was a rest day. I headed to the gym for my usual swim and steam recovery. However, the shoulder did not agree with the idea of swimming.

No comments: