Thursday, May 03, 2007

Some Hard Work Ahead

This week was the start of my new program, my first one since March and after the weekend's activities I was very happy Monday was a rest day. I was truly buggered.

1 May 2007

Four Lap time trial. I was a little unsure how I would go given that I have not done any speed work since 20 February 2007, and still feeling a little fatigued. I took off a little too quick at the start but then settled into a bit of a rhythm. I finished in 29 minutes flat (average pace 4:58/km), not too shabby but I have lost a fair bit of speed. I then did a cool down lap and as I finisihed Sean call my time and quickly corrected him advising that was my cool down.

2 May 2007

Unfortunately I had to miss my run, even though it was only 30 minutes, but I was in Deniliquin and Blue Dog suggested I give my run a miss particularly when I was not familiar with the locals.

3 May 2007

This morning I had 7 x 500m reps. I was little unsure about the number of reps, but soon discovered Deanne was also programed for the same session. Sean then advised anybody racing on Saturday should only do 4 reps, unfortunately I'm not racing (on running) so 7 reps it was. I was very consistent, I finisihed last in 500m group each time, however it was interest to watch the some of the faster runners go past cutting corners. My times ranged from 2:19 to 2:26 with most of the reps ran in 2:25. A long way to go!

I spoke to Sean after the session who commented I looked strong, and will take me at least 4 weeks to get back a bit of speed. I also asked about the SMH 1/2 marathon. I had already entered prior to the injury and really didn't want to just donate my money, I suggested my option of running 1 lap hard and DNFing or just treat the run as a training run. Sean suggest I treat the half as a training run, as $70 it too much to pay for a 10km run.

3 comments:

Brendan said...

Bloody legend! You were strong this morning, great to have you back. And those fast guys that cut corners. Only bloody cheating themselves mate.

2P said...

Good luck with the build up (sounds better than comeback) Bernie.I look forward to following your progress towards speed.

Bennyr said...

Hi Bernie,

It's a bugger with the SMH - you can hardly put it off in case you get injured or something comes up.

Thanks for your comments about John. Good luck with the new program!

Cheers,
Ben