Saturday, June 24, 2006

Very Easy

23 June 2006

I ran in afternoon for change, only because I wanted a sleep in, and no I did not watch the soccer.

I decided to try something different; I set the time alert on the garmin for 15minutes, with the aim of running for 15 minutes and the turning around. I didn't bother with pace and just ran on feeling. Very easy, just keep the legs moving and turn around with the first alarm and stop on the second. I ended up running 5.8km with an average pace of 5:12/km, which suprised me. I felt comfortable the whole way and really enjoyed just running without any pace or distance goal.

5K Challenge

After a late night helping celebrate Papa's 60th birthday, we dragged ourselves to the 5k Challenge. I was only running easy today, so I was only there for social reason. Ellie was starting the 28 minute group but hoping to improve on her recent PB of 27:15, so I offered to pace her for sub 27 minutes.

It was very foggy when we started and I took us out a little too quick reaching the 1km mark in 5:00 minutes, so we backed off. Ellie ran very strongly, and by the time we got to the 4k mark I told Ellie if she stuck with me a PB was in the bag, but it was up to her how big a PB she wanted. We kept it going and even picked up the pace in the last 80 metres giving Ellie a 46 second PB of 26:29.

I then jogged back and caught up with a few regulars before enjoying a great breakfast.

5 comments:

Tesso said...

Good on ya for helping Ellie out this morning, she's sounds like one very happy girl after that.

Wobbly man said...

Sounds like fun Bernie - I have never used the time alert function on my Garmin - might just go and consult the manual....

Katie said...

Hey Bernie! Have a great day and race tommorow!!! Enjoy the great scenary and if you have time spot some birds for me ;-) great work on helping Ellie with her Pb!

See you tuesday.

Ellie80 said...

thanks so much bernie - it made all the difference! next time i am hoping to be around for the jog back so i will get a chance to chat and not just huff and puff! good luck tomorrow!!

Horrie said...

Great effort on the pacing Bernie. As always, great to catch up at brekky afterwards. I'm sure you will have a great run tomorrow.