Sunday, August 13, 2006


City to Surf


Blue Dog and I arrived nice and early this morning and found a nice little door way to shield ourselves from the cool breeze as we waited for the bagage centre to open. We were soon joined by Tesso, Johnny Dark and Superflake who coming bearing gifts of chocolates, yes Flakes! When I got to the start I was please to see Katie and Deanne waiting and excited. C2S always seems like a bit a reunion, and we all shared some good laughs while we waited, some people even shared more than we needed to know ;-).

I had set myself of goal of sub 70minutes, so I did a little research yesterday of my time and splits from last year, and I thought based on my current form and my training the goal was achievable. I got away to a pretty good start, not too crowded and could found my own space. I reached the 5km mark in 24:16, I was a little ahead of plan but I figured Heartbreak Hill will slow me down a little. It's funny two weeks ago I ran Heartbreak Hill and didn't think it was that bad, but when your racing it is bad. When I reached the 10km mark, I thought my goal of sub 70 was out the window, and did a few calculations and thought maybe. Well I did it 69:37. I was so happy, I just kept watching the clock as ran along the finish shute and kept thinking; faster Bernie don't let sub 70 get away on you.

It was great to chatch up with everybody, meet up with a few Firies and then walked over the Strider's area and found a whole heap of smiling faces.

In summary it was another great day!

9 comments:

TA and the Gnome said...

Well done on going sub 70 and I'm glad you had a good day (esp. starting with flakes!)

TA

Superflake said...

Great run Bernie. Congratulations.

Jen said...

Congrats Bernie on a great run today & on achieving your goal! You looked really strong when you flew past us at the 13km mark.

Katie said...

We did it Miss B!!!! Now bring on Willie to Billie :-) We must have looked like zombies running down the chute with our eyes glued to the clock.... I was just thankful no one ran in front of me I would not have seen them!

Gronk said...

Well done on reaching your goal Bernie. It wasn't easy in the heat, so it was a great result.

Ellie80 said...

Hey Bernie - top run - and it was great to hang out in the pub too :) see you tomorrow morning...

Horrie said...

Congratulations on going sub 70 Bernie. Great effort considering everything you have been dealing with over the last couple of weeks. I'm sorry I won't be able to be at North Head to watch you smash your 10km PB.

miners said...

congratulations Bernie!! Great effort on a hot day. Was really good to catch up with yourself and your not-so-better half :)

Tesso said...

Huge congrats on a great C2S Bernie! Isn't it the best feeling when you achieve a goal. Makes all those early morning training sessions worthwhile.

So good to catch up with you and the Dog again. Thanks for sharing your warm little cave outside the Water Board at 6:45am :-)