Monday, February 05, 2007

Racing and Trails

3 February 2007

I arrived nice and early at the first Striders 10k nice and early and was surprised by the number of people already there at 6.10am. After collecting my race number, the usual crowd had gathered and we set off for our warm up. I think they had something like 370 runners lined up at the start, and you could really notice it in the first couple hundred metres. I eventually found "my space" and set into a good rhythm. Everything seemed to be going okay until half way up the first hill, and I thought my breakfast was going to make a guest appearance. I was dry retching and just hoping to keep my stomach together, thankfully i did. I had a pretty good run from the turn around and put in a bit of kick across the weir and managed to finish in 50 minutes flat. I was very happy. I ran 52.15 at the February 06' Strider's Lane Cove race so I was happy improve my time based on my Six Foot Training.

We then enjoyed a nice post race breakfast at Milson's Point, and discussed our planned training run on the Six Foot Track. It was planned for 11 February, however Blue Dog and Razor are both keen to run the Striders Equaliser, so in a rather quick discussion we decided to head to the track on Sunday. This caused a wave of panic and we headed off to do some shopping.

4 February 2007

Deanne, Katie, Razor and I all headed to off for to the Six Foot Track for a day full of adventure. Katie and I accompanied with Blue Dog were going to complete the whole course as a training run and Deanne and Razor were going to meet us at Deviation. We were soon on our way, with Blue Dog's guidance we ran the track in what he refers to "ultra style", eating regularly, walking the hills and ensuring we drank regularly. We arrived at Cox's river to refill the Camel Backs, had a bite to eat and bit of chat to some runners who were on the return leg the of "Megalong Mega". By the time we started the climb up Mini it was started to get very warm, and we were all very happy to reach Alum River and cool off. The climb to Pluvi was unforgiving in the heat and I was every so happy to see the top. We sat down again and had a bite to eat, refilled our Camel Backs and were off again. After I couple minutes along the Black Range, I was very lucky to have had the support of my lovely husband and Katie (some things stay on the track). We then pushed focusing on meeting Deanne and Razor at Deviation. When we arrived they were not there so we assumed they must be waiting for us at the road crossing. We had another short break and then hit the track. Caves Road.... no Deanne and Razor so we figured they must have been waiting for us at the caves. My second wind hit and we romped to the finish line. No Deanne and Razor. So Blue Dog, Katie and I layed around on the concrete smelling truly divine, and thirsty but quite sick of water. After a few minutes Katie appeared announcing she had replicated my signature and we can put some drinks on my account I had booked for race weekend. As Blue Dog was just finishing off his second beer and was getting ready to go and look for Razor and Deanne, they appeared. It was a great union.

After a well deserved shower, we drove to Katoomba and had a great Indian Meal. I am sure the other diners must have thought we hadn't eaten in a week. We ate and discussed what a great day we had all experienced, and shared many laughs.

6 comments:

Gronk said...

Well done on the Lane Cove time Bernie. Nice neat start for the year.

Sunday's run sounded great. "Ultra-style" looks a very cruisey way to travel. Must be great to have the Dog out there guiding the way.

TA and the Gnome said...

That's a great start to 2007 and sounds like you had a worthwhile day on Sunday.

Lovely husbands are good investments, aren't they :-).

TA

Superflake said...

I met Ray and Deanne at the black range campground and they said they were going to keep walking down black range. Did they miss the right turn just up the road to go down black range?

Tesso said...

Wow, I can't believe you did the whole hog as a training run. Fantastic! You must be feeling even better about the real thing now.

2P said...

Wow - very nice Bernie - now it is my turn to be jealous - I'd love to do the whole thing as a training run - but the logistics....

Great stuff.

Spud said...

Great to see you guys out there Bernie, looking good for March 10 ;)