Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fine Tuning

This morning I had 3 x 1200s on my program and I had worked out pace plan last night and was all prepared for the task ahead, then Sean threw a curve ball and suggested 3 x 1kms. Out went the plan. I lined up with a huge group for the first rep and felt pretty good, but didn't want to go out too hard, planning to getting quicker with each rep. I finished the first 1km rep in 4:28mins, so I was then advised to run 1400s for the next 2 reps to ensure my recovery period was not too long. A small group of us lined up and the 1400m mark and we took off, I was out ahead and determined to keep ahead of the group, knowing I would have to work hard. I managed to maintain my position and finished in 6.11mins (average pace 4.25/km). On the second 1200m we had a couple of girls who were doing 2km reps come and join us which was really good, one of the faster younger girls went past me and gave me something to focus on giving me a time of (edit previously recorded my rep time slower, now correct)6.06min (average pace 4.19/km).

Last night I decided to do a bit of analysis of this years 6 Foot training against last years training, some interesting findings;

* an extra 500km plus training in the legs
* far more sessions and consistent training
* average monthly pace is quicker
* last yrs training including a few of sessions on the treadmill, this yr no treadmill training

4 comments:

Katie said...

An extra 500km.... wow!!! no wonder you were feeling a bit tired!!! How strong will you be on race day when you are tapered and well fed!!!

Thats exciting :-) I am glad you did that.... a great way to put it in perspective!

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to cheer you at 6ft, just knowing how much you have put in and what this means to you.
You are SUPERG, what an effort!!!
a true star.
xx

Superflake said...

Plenty of endurance in you this year Bernie. I reckon you will have a cracker of a run.

Lulu said...

500kms is a lot of extra training so I'm sure you'll see the benefit on the day. Look forward to cheering you across the line.