Sunday, February 25, 2007

Done and Dusted

23 February

When I got home from work Blue Dog and I set out on a nice easy run through Scarborough Park, which was really one of my favourite runs and running with The Dog is always nice as we seldom run together. I was determined to go nice and easy, being very conscious of the 5k Challenge in the morning, but I think I may have been pushed a little harder then "nice and easy". We saw Youcef Abdi training in the park, so we congratulated him on his win the Steeplechase last Saturday night. Finished with 5.5km with an average pace of 5:33/km.

We then enjoyed a great dinner with Katie, Ray, Johnny Dark, and the Brisvegas girls Clairie and Tesso.

24 February

I had declared to a small group that was going to try and run a PB at this months 5k Challenge. I knew it would be hard task with all the mileage in my legs, and the fact my training has been predominately for endurance not speed, but hey I decided to have a go. A little prior planning had determined that I needed to run an average pace of 4:37/km to achieve the goal, so when I ran the first km in 4:28 minutes you would think the alarm bells would have been ringing. Second km, 4:31 minutes not too long after that it all went pear shaped. I finished in 24:19 and I was never so happy to finish. After a couple of moments on my own reflect on my run, I shook my head and put it down to stupidity.

BTW Blue Dog and I have booked our tickets for his Western States assault, so I spent the afternoon doing a little research on all things tourist, and I have even found a very tacky place Vegas (of course) where we can get married/renew of vows, yes it includes fat Elvis.

25 February

After some discussion on where to have our final long run before 6 Foot, we decided to run the very scenic shortened version of the Strider's Ten Bridges starting from Brett Park, Drummyone. It was a nice feeling knowing it was my last long run before I started to taper, I honestly feel the need to freshen up. My legs felt really heavy today, but it was no nice to just run along and enjoy the scenery without and pressure. We stopped to watch the Dragon Boat races at Darling Harbour and cheered a few of them on. Finished of with 23km and nice breakfast.

I came home and had a nice nana nap for couple of hours, before heading out the door to meet up with the girls for Bec's (CR Psychoma) Baby Shower Dinner. A nice way to finish off the weekend.

26 February

I had the day so it was very nice to wake up with an alarm for a change. After enjoying a coffee in bed with Blue Dog, it was out the door for my recovery run. I enjoyed a nice run along Botany Bay. Today's was one of those perfect runs, when you feel like you could run forever, what a difference a day makes. I had a nice tailwind to start with and an average pace of 5.34/km before I turned around after 30 minutes. I set myself a little challenge on the return trip and was determined not to be slowed down by the headwind. I finished the 60 minutes with exactly 11kms, so I improved my average pace to a nice round 5.30/km.

After finalising our tickets for our trip to the USA, I went to the gym for 30 minutes cardio, followed by strength and core work.

I really enjoy not going to work.

5 comments:

Lulu said...

Work really gets in the way of things I find! Hope you enjoy your taper.

Tesso said...

It was sooooo good to catch up with you guys on the weekend. You and Katie are such an inspiration to me, the way you are so dedicated and focussed on your 6ft training.

I hope you weren't too disappointed with the 5k Challenge. Its nothing really compared to what you are going to be doing in a week and a half. And maybe it was just as well you didn't totally hammer yourself, remember its cotton wool time!

PS Fat Elvis - love it!!!!

Clairie said...

I just love it when you feel like crap and can't run another step and then you wake up the next morning and the sun is shining and the colours are all bright and the running feels fantiastic - go figure!

I think you did well on the 5k to give it a shot. We all have our races where we go out hard and die in the end but you did it in style and as Tesso said - your focus right now is Six Foot, not 5km.

I'm jealous about the day off work - sounds perfect. Hope you made the most of it.

Thanks for making the effor to come out Friday and then the breakfast on Saturday, was really good to sit and chat to you and BDog. I wish you both the very best for Six Foot and look forward to seeing you again in Canberra.

Wobbly man said...

Enjoy your taper Bernie! I can't wait to read how well you go at 6ft this year!

2P said...

Can't wait to see pictures of you guys renewing the vowes with fat Elvis :)

Freshen those legs up - not long now!!!

BTW i set my recent 5k PB 2 weeks after 6ft last year - so have another crack at end of March :)