Sunday, October 08, 2006

7 October 2006, Striders 10km

After a rushed start to the day having to pick Blue Dog up from night shift we made our way out to Homebush. Quickly registered and rounded up the troops and we snuck off to do a bit of a warm up, drills and strides. We then jogged back to the start to find a huge crowd. I went out a little too quick in the first couple of ks and debated if I should slow down or just try and hold on. I took the second option, probably not wise. I spotted a few people as targets and kept thinking "I don't get out of bed at 4:30am during the week for nothing". My legs felt like jelly and I started to sound like a steam train. By the time I got to the bridge towards the finish I started to heave at least four times, which pissed me off as I only had 50 metres to go. Anyway I finsihed in 48:10, one second off my PB, but very disappointed. Blue Dog has tried to convince me I had a good run, but it hasn't worked.

8 October 2006

I had an 2.5hrs on my program today, so I arranged to meet Deanne at 6.30 to get my extra half hour in and allow Deanne to get away early. It was a really slow start and I could feel the effect of yesterdays 10ks on the legs so we just took it easy for the first couple of ks to allow the legs to loosen up. We then met Katie, Kerry and Rachel at 7.00am. Just as we were about to get away Ellie80 and Jen-Runs popped over to say hello. We did various laps and tracks of the park and returned to our meeting point at 7.30 to allow Deanne to get away, little did we know we were being followed by Blue Dog. We continued to use our imagination around the park and said good bye to Rachel, leaving Katie, Kerry and myself to continue. Towards the end of the run we could notice the heat and I was started to feel tied. We stopped at one point to have a look in the pond, but then decided to move and get the run finished. Stats: 25.45km, average pace 5:54/km, exactly what the coach had ordered.

When we finsihed we drove to Clovelly for a breakfast and a refreshing swim.

5 comments:

Ellie80 said...

good to see you yesterday bernie - i did try and go faster and not fall over whenever I rode past you girls :) not so sure it worked... at least you didn't get to see my stack...

Dave said...

Bernie, I agree with Blue Dog!

There were very few Striders that even bettered their handicaps, let alone PB'd so to get within one second on Saturday is a good run.

Here's hoping Lane Cove is a little kinder to us all next month!

Clairie said...

That's a big weekend Bernie! Well done on doing your long run the day after a gut busting effort at teh 10km.

BlueDog's right - you had a good run. Every run you do where you give it 100% and are hurting is definitely a sign that you are putting in the energy. Not every race will be a PB so you can only measure satisfaction based on the effort you put into it. On that basis - you were obviously doing really well (what with the heaving and all!!).

2P said...

Geez you're a bit tough on yourself Bernie - 1 second off your PB - that is fantastic consistency.... I know you are working hard to improve but I believe improvements come in cycles - you will see the benefits soon it's just a matter of time.

Horrie said...

Running 1 second off your PB on a day like Saturday was a great effort. You know when you are heaving towards the finish, you have run your absolute best on the day. Keep training and the results will come.