Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Good Result :-)

Friday, 20 October 2006

I met the girls and Ray for a nice easy run around the Park. It was nice and comfortable, with lots of chatter and a stop by the lake to check on the progress of the geese. Felt really good throughout the run and legs felt great, so I was feeling pretty confident about the Bulls Head Challenge, but I said the same thing last week and had a shocker at Fitzroy Falls.

Saturday, 21 October 2006

Blue Dog and I had a bit of sleep in and then got our gear together for our road trip to Canberra. Once we found some accommodation and had some lunch we set off for an easy 30 minutes. It may have been easy for Blue Dog, but our average pace of 5:16/km. I did explain the pace was a bit quick considering I had a race tomorrow, however I was assured it wouldn't hurt me ;-(.

We then meet up with a few CRs for a pre-race dinner.

Sunday, 22 October 2006

Bulls Head Challenge

Blue Dog and I arrived at the race HC pretty early, actually we were the first runners to check in. After a few minutes other runners started to arrive and the Brindabella runners were bused to the start. This left me with 3hrs to fill in before my bus arrived, but the time went pretty quickly. Before I knew it I was on the bus, sitting with my SWEAT buddy Becky O, who has some big plans for next year. By the time we arrived at the start of the BHC, the front runners were coming through which was very exciting. Our race was delayed by 10 minutes due to the late running bus service. Did the usual "ready, set, go" and we off and racing. Shortly after the start, I saw Blue Dog running towards me, so we have each other a "high five" and kept going. My first couple of ks's were very quick, but I felt pretty good, so I just kept going rather than hold myself back. After about 4 or 5ks into the race we had a sharp left turn. As I took the bend I lost traction, and could feel myself falling but knew I couldn't stop it, so I just tucked my arms and let happen. After a slide and a roll I was back on my feet feeling a bit sore. I just relaxed myself and kept going. After about 13 k's I could hear Blue Dog approaching. He reckons I put the pace on when I saw him, because it took him a while to catch me. I suggested it was tactic I was using to push him a little harder. He eventual caught me but I kept him in sight for the next 5ks. I just kept pressing along, and welcomed the cool water at Vanity's Crossing. Finished in 2hrs 21 mins. 29 minute PB.

I met up with Blue Dog and Becky and we walked down to the river to join everybody else soaking a beaten up legs in the cold water. I am now nursing a few scratches and a swollen knee, but at least I'll have the scars to remind me of a great day out.

12 comments:

CJ said...

Well done on a good run Bernie, despite the fall. That's a huge PB! Hope you're not feeling too sore now.

Superflake said...

Congrats on the huge PB Bernie, and for keeping Blue Dog at bay for so long.

Spud said...

Great to catch up over the weekend Bernie, you must be well pleased with a 30 minute improvement, well done! I was looking for you on the way down Bulls Head but you were too quick.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fantastic PB. You must be thrilled. Well done.

Wildthing

Clairie said...

Holy Moly....sounds like you had a blinder of a run! Well done Bernie.

Not one did you post you were struggling or anything - so that's a good sign. A solid hit out the day after a decent run with BDog.

Thats a huge PB and I can appreciate you wanting the scars to remember it all by because if you keep this up the new PB won't be your PB anymore :)))

Gronk said...

Wow ! Huge effort effort Bernie. Well done !

2P said...

Wow Bernie - that is an enormous PB - congratulations mate ;-)

Becky O said...

Great run Bernie, I'm so impressed by such a huge PB you must be so proud of yourself. It was a really great day yesterday, we couldnt have asked for better conditions. I hope your knee mends well quickly.

miners said...

Congrats on the great PB Bernie! Sounds like a fantastic weekend - minus the scratches and scars I suppose ;)

Anonymous said...

WOoHoo.
THat is a massive effort and a fantastic PB.
You will have to convince kit to do it next year.
Glad to hear the gosslings havnt been BBQ by DJ yet.
xx

Jen said...

Sensational run Bernie & a HUGE PB. Congratulations!

Horrie said...

That was certainly a sensational effort Bernie. Congratulations! You did well to stay in front of the Dog for so long. Good to see you giving him incentive to run quicker. ;-)