Saturday, July 08, 2006

Mutch Park XC

After a slow morning we went over to Mutch Park for the XC. I had never seen or ran this course before and when I got out of the car my imediate thought was "shit look at that hill". It was nice to see Horrie, Belinda, Tim and Flake all there for a nice low key event. The course was 3 x 2k circuit, so I decided to do 1 lap as my warm up and was pleasantly surprised the course was not as bad as it looked. I felt like crap in the warm and could feel the effects of yesterday's weight session, but I have a theory, the crappier (is that a word) I feel in the warm-up the better I run in the race!

The 2k, 4k and 6K competitors all lined up together and the chase was on. I noticed a couple of girls a head of me and as my targets, I actually worked my way through the field in this race which a pleasant surprise, however I did have someone overtake me in the 1500m ;-(. I again focused on keeping my arms relaxed. Blue Dog gave me a cheer as he went past in the opposite direction on the final leg and gave me a cheer, a gave him a very brief acknowledgement, which he later commented on how focused I appeared.

I finished in 30:12 with an average pace of 5:02/km. I was stolked, thus far my average pace for the xc races has been 5:30/km and considering my race schedule of the past couple of weeks I am very happy. All finished off with a nice cool down.

No comments: