Monday, July 31, 2006

A Tough Day

I had the day off work today, as I had to take my mother to hospital for day surgery. I woke up nice and early with a cold that seems to have got worse overnigh and stomach cramps. I got out bed saw Blue Dog off to work and went for my run otherwise I knew I would not have time later in the day. It was a real struggle this morning after yesterday's long run and generally feeling like crap. I was just happy to get through the session. I tried to stick the scheduled "recovery speed" but was still a little too quick I ran a total of 12km with average pace of 5:57/km. I was very happy to see my front door.

On a personal note, I spent the day with my father whilst my mother underwent day surgery. Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with bowel cancer. Just another reminder that we shouldn't take things for granted.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Bernie, I am so sorry to hear about your mum. My thoughts are with you & your family.

Unknown said...

Bernie, so sorry to hear of your mum's diagnosis. I hope it has been found in time to get through whatever has to be done for a full recovery. Saying a little prayer of you, your mum & dad.

Tesso said...

Sorry to hear your news Bernie. Gee, tough times ahead for you all. Sending lots of good thoughts and wishes you way.

Meanwhile, make sure you take it easy and recover from that cold. Its such a stressful time, you are going to need to be pretty strong. A couple of easy days won't do you any harm at all.

Take care.

Ellie80 said...

Bernie - I am also so sorry to hear about your mum. And once again I am reminded how incredibly tough, determined and committed you are to come to training this morning - and with a cold on top of it. You are amazing :)

Clairie said...

Sorry to hear about your mother BernieG. Bowel cancer is not pleasant and we lost my husbands best friend to it at the age of 33 (10yrs ago).

Your post is a reminder that time moves on but we still remember and cherish our loved ones.

I hope your mums diagnosis is much better and that you have plenty of time to spend and make memories with her yet.

As for your running - that's so good for the stress levels to find the time to get out and do it so good to hear you were able to yesterday morning.